Saturday, February 23, 2019 | 8:54 AM

Indian trooper killed in attack near paramilitary camp in Srinagar

Monday, February 12, 2018

Fighting broke out between gunmen and Indian paramilitary troopers in the main city of Kashmir, only hours after a two-day gun battle came to an end in the disputed region.

The clashes began on Monday after two gunmen opened fire on a building near an army camp in Srinagar’s Karan Nagar area, killing at least one Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) constable and critically injuring a policeman, officials said.

Police said they cordoned off the area after they cleared the building of all civilians. Police also said the troops are still exchanging fire with the gunmen.

According to the CRPF’s PRO, Rajesh Yadav, one constable has succumbed to his injuries at the site of firefight.
“In the wee hours, a sentry of 23 battalion stationed at Karanagar noticed a suspicious movement. He challenged the suspects. They ran into the nearby building behind National School,” said Yadav.

Yadav said that the building where militants have taken shelter is a huge structure.

The deceased constable was identified as Mujahid Khan of 49 Bn.

CRPF’s 23 battalion and Director General’s office are situated close to each other at Karan Nagar. 

Late Sunday, Indian troops ended a gun battle that had begun at dawn a day earlier when a number of militants stormed the Sunjuwan army base on the outskirts of the region’s Jammu area.

Three militants were killed by late Sunday night. At least five soldiers and a civilian were also killed in the clashes, which was the deadliest in recent years.

India once again blamed a Pakistan-based group for the weekend attack on its army camp.

The Himalayan region of Kashmir has been divided between the two nuclear-armed countries since their independence from Britain in 1947. The disputed region is claimed in full by both sides, who often accuse each other of violating a 2003 ceasefire agreement.

Pakistan, which constantly denies the allegations, warned New Delhi on Monday against cross-border strikes in the region.

In a statement by its Foreign Ministry on Monday in Islamabad called on the international community to “urge India to stop the untold atrocities and gross violations of human rights” in the region.

“It is a well established pattern that Indian officials begin making irresponsible statements and leveling unfounded allegations, even before any proper investigation in any incident has been initiated,” it added.

The two countries have fought three wars over the disputed territory. Despite a ceasefire agreement that was reached in November 2003, sporadic skirmishes continue in Kashmir.

Armed battles between Indian forces and pro-freedom militants over the years have killed nearly 70,000 people, mostly civilians.

Kashmir’s mostly Muslim population have been demanding that they be given their right to self-determination.