Sunday, January 20, 2019 | 11:17 PM

5 Indian soldiers killed in Jammu army camp attack as gunfight enters 2nd day

Sunday, February 11, 2018

A fierce gun battle at an Indian army base in Jammu city of occupied Kashmir has entered the second day leaving at least six people, including five soldiers, dead, officials said.

Official figures released on Sunday said that three attackers have been killed and 11 people have been wounded in the ongoing attack on Sunjuwan army camp.

Indian Army chief Bipin Rawat has also rushed to Jammu to monitor the situation.

Officials said an unknown number of attackers are cornered inside the residential complex of the camp, where they are locked in a fierce standoff.

Hundreds of police, army and paramilitary soldiers were called in to dislodge the fighters, who have barricaded themselves inside multistorey buildings.

The vast army installation located in the city of Jammu is located close to several shopping centres and schools.

Speaking to media, an official from the civil administration said the nearby schools had been closed as a precautionary measure and security was beefed up across the area.

"The situation continues to be tense. The attack has taken place in the main city. The exchange of fire is still on," the official said.

Indian Home Minister Rajnath Singh said he was closely monitoring the situation.

A group of heavily armed militants struck the sprawling camp of the 36 brigade of Light Infantry in the early hours of Saturday, triggering a gun battle which left two junior commissioned officers and one non-commissioned officer of the army dead.

The militants had struck before dawn on Saturday and managed to sneak into the camp from the rear side of the base after a brief exchange of fire with the sentry on its periphery.

“The militants entered the family accommodation complex after which quick response teams cordoned off the area and isolated the attackers, who are holed up in a few houses [inside the camp],” officials said.

While there was no action around the main entrance and vehicles were moving along the Lakhanpur bypass in front of the camp, security personnel in bullet-proof vehicles engaged in the operation to rescue people from the family quarters in the rear side of the base.

Contingents of CRPF and police were posted outside the boundary wall and were keeping curious onlookers at bay to avoid civilian casualties.

On Saturday, two of the attackers in combat gear were gunned down while nine people – a major, three personnel and five women and children – were injured in the day long operation